Sunday, May 27, 2012

Zazubean Hottie

The Canadian chocolatier Zazubean makes interesting chocolate from cacao beans in the Dominican Republic and Ecuador, with interesting combinations of ingredients; this one features chili and cinnamon and yerba mate (a South American herbal caffeine substitute). The ingredient listing is good, cocoa mass, cane sugar, cocoa butter, cinnamon, yerba mate, vanilla and chili pepper. The cacao content is at 70%. The bar is actually manufactured in Switzerland for Zazubean. It's tagline is Get Fired Up.

How does it taste? Well, this one is definitely about the cinnamon, though you can also taste the chili pepper, the heat is definitely there, so think spicy cinnamon. The yerba mate was lost in the flavour, but perhaps it gave me the energizing effect without the herbal taste I normally associate with it. The chocolate snaps well and tastes good. Cinnamon is a flavour I don't really care for, so I don't think I would buy this bar again.

No comments: